St Richard's was founded in 1921 by John Keble, an Oxford MA and published poet, and his wife Audrey. The school opened at Aucott House, Malvern, with six boys, and moved after ten years to the old presbytery at St Wulstan's, Little Malvern, where it remained until 1968. After the Second World War, Caspar Tremlett and his wife, Ursula, took over from the Kebles and oversaw both the move to Bredenbury and the gradual introduction of girls.
In 1982 Richard Coghlan became headmaster, undertaking considerable new building works around the school, and creating the pre-prep and nursery sections. Throughout this time the school had been proprietary but, on his retirement in 2004, Richard created a charitable trust for the school, and Nathan Cheesman and his family took up residence on the top floor.
Bredenbury Court was built in 1876 by William Henry Barneby, a young army officer who had received the whole village as a wedding present. Although on the site of a former farmstead, the house and grounds were refurbished almost regardless of expense to become one of the most beautiful residences in Herefordshire. He and his family are buried in the local churchyard.
At the turn of the century the house was bought by Frank Greswolde-Williams, an enormously wealthy spendthrift from Worcestershire, with huge estates in Kenya, where he spent much of the year. He extended the house to its present size, including a ball-room (now the Assembly Hall) and a handsome vaulted dining-room (now the Chapel). After the First World War the upkeep of the house became increasingly difficult, and eventually it was sold to Cheltenham Ladies College, who added the classroom block and swimming pool, and became the first of a series of girls' schools, which lasted until St Richard's arrived in 1968.